Monday, March 11, 2013

Zero Dark Thirty

We decided to go see Zero Dark Thirty after our 'Cats lost to Oklahoma State and so lost the Big 12 Championship . . . or so we thought.  More about that later.  We decided we couldn't be much more depressed (well, we could . . . think 1998 KSU vs. ATM football game), so a movie would be a good idea.

I couldn't watch much of the first part of the movie.  The torture scenes were too much.  I hate the thought of torture, and I don't want to watch it.  Many years ago when we were Medieval Times we went through the torture museum  . . . I had to leave.  So I didn't watch this part.

The movie itself was masterfully done.  I understand why it received an Oscar nomination, as the acting was excellent and the story quite interesting.

The biggest surprise was that our leaders did not know for sure the Bin Laden was in the house.  Maya was sure, but no one else was.  It took great courage to authorize the operation.  I am not sure, based on the information our leaders had, that I could have done it.  But I am grateful someone did.

I also thought the depiction of the women and the children during the raid captured the reality well.  I ache for the children . . . and the women.  One person I was talking with said the women didn't deserve our sympathy, but I disagree.  I doubt the women had much say in the goings on of Bin Laden's life, and they were most likely innocent victims in the story.

Zero Dark Thirty is an interesting and scary story about real life intelligence operations.  For those interested in that kind of thing, it would be interesting.

Once the movie was over, we turned on the KU game.  We heard KU was down, so I turned off the radio - couldn't jinx it!  As it turned out, my 'Cats became co-champions of the Big 12 because everyone lost.  Not a great way to do it, but better than the option!  Turned out to be a good day.

1 comment:

  1. I called my mom after it was over and said, "MOM, did you know a WOMAN found Bin Laden?!" I think my mom would have liked to see all the embassy parts - so relative after we were in Serbia last year.

    ReplyDelete