Friday, February 21, 2014

A Close Encounter of the O'Possum Kind

Babs has given me many different experiences during her late-night gigs wandering outside.  The latest is what I call a A Close Encounter of the O'Possum Kind.

It was warm enough for me to go outside with Babs to make sure she did what she was expected to do.  As I was standing in the yard - at 2:30 a.m. - I noticed a movement to my right, and looking over, I saw a medium-sized possum walking along the garden under the Japanese Tree Lilac.  I moved, and he (or she - how do you tell?) stopped.  He stared at me, not moving.  I decided I would scare him away before we had an innocent encounter of the Babs kind.

I stepped back and ran toward him.  Nothing.  No flinch, no hissing, no movement.  Nothing.  I did it again.  Nothing.  No reaction.  I threw sticks at him.  Nothing.  I threw bark . . . oops, no, dried dog poop (hey it was dark!) . . . and actually hit him.  Nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  In the meantime, Babs wandered closer and closer.  When I moved toward her to pick her up, the possum decided s(he) had enough and very slowly . . . .v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y . . . backed up, turned around, and ambled through the fence.

I do not think the possum would actually hurt Babs, but it would certainly scare her.  I didn't want that to happen, so I didn't wait to see what an introduction would do.  Instead, Babs and I came inside, and the possum went on his or her merry way.  Fun times late at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment