Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Drawing

A year ago, as a Christmas present, Diana gave me a sketch book.  I loved the thought but really did not know if I would really benefit from it.  But I decided to begin drawing.



It did not take long to get hooked.  I drew during basketball games and found that I did not get as stressed.  I drew in the Willie while we were driving - it made time go faster.  I drew in Alaska.  I drew on the porch at the cabin.  I drew when it was snowing, and when it was too hot, and when Babs was up all night.  And I loved it.

Tonight I finished the last page of the sketch book.  I don't know if my drawing is any better, but I have learned a lot.  I have learned about perspective, though I still struggle with it.  I have learned about shading.  Did you know that shadows have a lot of purple and blue in them?  I have learned about backgrounds and foregrounds and watercolors and colored pencils and acrylics and chalk . . . and there is so much more to learn.

My very first attempt was very a serious piece.  It was a still life.  And it was hard.  Very hard.


By the middle of the book, I was trying to draw landscapes.  The perspective killed me.  But I have kept at it.


By the end I was focusing on flowers.  I have found I can draw them.  My first attempt at this picture - which was last April - turned out all right, but I really like this one that I finished tonight.  It is much more accurate than the first one.


Art is a constant learning process, and I am at the very beginning.  But Diana gave me another sketch book for Christmas.  So here goes!


No comments:

Post a Comment