Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Mr. Romance - or Not!

Don has had his moments of pulling off amazing surprises.  Having the kids join us at the cabin for my birthday last year is just one example of his occasional big surprises.

But, he has also had his share of flops.  Now, those who live in glass houses can't throw stones, I know.  But I believe that, although I have not had as many great surprises, I also have not had the bummers.

For example, I think I shared several years ago that, taking a suggestion from his physician, Don purchased a book for me for Valentine's Day - Healthy Aging.  I guess it is better than the his/her colonoscopies that the doctor also suggested.

This year, I was in charge of a conference the week before Valentine's Day.  As a part of the conference, Rotarians placed red roses in a vase as a memorial to someone who passed away during the year.  After the conference, Don brought home the roses.

On Valentine's morning, sitting on the table was a card.  That is pretty typical.  But next to it was a rose.  Not a new, beautiful rose, but one that had been plucked from the vase of now-dying roses.  "I took off all of the dead leaves," he rationalized.

Now I only got Don a card.  But I didn't give him a dying rose.

Good thing he is a good guy, great dad, and fun person.  His good qualities make it possible to forgive his less-than-romantic flops!

No comments:

Post a Comment