Thursday, February 13, 2014

When Drawing Doesn't Work!

As I sat in the Gaskill's basement preparing for the KU-K-State game, I pulled out my drawing pad and pencils, anticipating a blow-out game, with us being the losers.  I had a very fun picture started and was looking forward to drawing it.

As the game began, it was clear KU was not at its greatest and that we were going to compete.  I did well, and going into halftime only a point down, I was encouraged but not pacing, which is my normal MO.

As the last few minutes counted down, we were ahead and I felt pretty sure we were going to win.  And then . . . and then . . . OH NO!  Several stupid plays and suddenly the game was into overtime.

Drawing was no longer doing it.  I could not stand it.  Put the drawing up, piled it on the table, and went to the stairway.  Push-ups, plugging ears, walking the steps, occasionally checking in on the score - I was a wreck.  The group made me stay away because every time I walked into the room, we got behind.  With the final minute to go, I was finally allowed to come back . . . but I paced and paced.  It wasn't until the final few seconds that my blood pressure came down and I was able to calm down.

I thought drawing had helped me, and it has . . . to a point.  But when the going gets tough, the drawing is out the window!  Do I need therapy?

No comments:

Post a Comment