Thursday, July 8, 2010

Ipomopsis



It isn't often that a person has access to an endangered species, but we in the Holy Ghost Canyon do. Unfortunately, not many people know about it, and I fear that someday, it will become an extinct species. That's part of the reason I published my Common Wildflowers of Northern New Mexico hiker's guide. I wanted people to be able to identify and enjoy the flower, all while allowing it to grow, bloom, produce seeds, and reseed itself.




This little flower is a bubble-gum pink gem that blooms on road-cuts and ditches. For some reason, it has chosen our little canyon for its home. I love the Ipomopsis and each year pray that it will continue to bloom and repopulate!



If you get to the Canyon in July and August, look for the bubble-gum pink flower on the side of the road and enjoy! It may be the only time you get to see an endangered species in the wild!

No comments:

Post a Comment