Saturday, July 17, 2010

Bluegrass Evening

Every third Saturday, one of our favorite groups plays at Watermark Books. From 5 to 7, they play folk, bluegrass, and whatever else might be requested. Richard Crowson, political cartoonist by day and musician any other time, plays a wicked banjo, but he also plays guitar, flat steel guitar, and percussion. Karen, his wife, plays the guitar, and Phil plays the bass. Sometimes a few other join them for the evening - tonight Dean, who plays the ukelele, and Jim Brasher, who now only sings because of his arthritis.

I love hearing the Crowsons. Sometimes I actually know the songs they sing, but their mix of fun, corny, and serious songs, along with an off-beat sense of humor provide for a great evening of listening. Watching Richard play the banjo mesmorizes me, as I love the banjo. People don't understand how hard it is to play and play well . . . and he plays it well.

Richard calls Jim Brasher the "Hank Williams of Kansas." He has written a number of songs, but my favorite is the one he wrote to his wife, Jan. It brings tears to my eyes every time. I suspect that many wouldn't appreciate this kind of music, but we love it . . . and although I wasn't sure what my nephew would think, we dragged him to it, too. I believe he was pleasantly surprised!

No comments:

Post a Comment