Monday, July 12, 2010

A True Fish Tale

They say a bad day on the stream is better than a good day at the office. I couldn't agree more. Although I loved my job, being on the stream fly-fishing is the best!

Don and I had decided to fish in the "quality water" just south of Cowles, up from our cabin. Initially I thought we shouldn't go - too much to do. But once we got our gear ready, I felt like a little kid - I was pretty excited! We hiked about 1/2 mile downstream and started fishing up. The first hole was a dud, but my first cast into the second hole got me a little German Brown. Since I release all of my fish (and I got some new pliers that crimp my barb very well!), it was easy to get going again. Next cast - BAM! Another fish. Caught three out of that hole.

I knew it was going to be a fun day. Nearly every hole I hit, I either caught one or had several strikes. I even caught fish in the most overfished hole on the river . . . and the second most overfished one! Most of the fish were just little German Browns, though one was a nice sized Rainbow Trout.

I always told my dad, when he came home with a new putter because he thought it would help him improve his putting, that it isn't the putter - it is the puttee! I feel the same way about fishing. Here I was on the river with my old fiberglass rod that my dad made for me, and my heavy automatic reel, pulling fish in like crazy. And Don, with his new graphite rod and reel, just got one strike!

Despite the fact that he only got one hit, however. we both agree that there's not much better than a day in the river, casting flies for fish!

No comments:

Post a Comment