Sunday, February 13, 2011

Homemade Sauerkraut!

Once we returned from Germany, I was inspired to make my own sauerkraut. I read many different recipes, and it isn't too hard to make . . . but it takes some time.

I began "brewing" my sauerkraut on January 2. Because we put it in the basement and the temperatures there are lower, it took longer to ferment. Finally on February 4, I brought it upstairs to test.

I was surprised by how good it was. I can tell I need to learn how much to rinse it, and putting it in a slightly warmer room would make it ferment more quickly. But I wonder if the reason it is fairly mild is because of the cooler temperatures.

Friday night I decided to do something else with it. I made bierocks. Using ground buffalo, onions, garlic, pepper, and my sauerkraut inside a crescent-roll pastry was just the ticket. With a little sweet German mustard . . . wow!

I still have some learning to do with this sauerkraut making, so once this batch is gone, we will try another until I have made at least one pot that tastes like what we had in Germany!

No comments:

Post a Comment