Wednesday, February 23, 2011

They Aren't the Beatles, but . . .

No, they aren't the Beatles. But when I was growing up, I wasn't a fan of the Beatles. All my friends were, but for some reason, I just couldn't get into them. I liked Peter, Paul and Mary and the Christy Minstrels. Yes, I know . . . not exactly cool, but I loved their songs This Land is Your Land, Today, and Green Green. Maybe it's because my dad played the guitar. Maybe it's because the songs were easily singable. I don't know, but I have always loved The Christy Minstrels.

Last Friday morning, I saw on a television ad that The New Christy Minstrels were doing a 50-year-anniversary tour (hey, if the Rolling Stones can do it, why not the Christy Minstrels?) And they were going to be in Kansas, since Randy Sparks, their founder, was born in Leavenworth. One show was going to be in Newton, which is where one of their singers lives. So I told Don I wanted to go. He was less than excited. I told him I would go alone. Then he not only wasn't excited, he felt guilty.

I called my sister Katie to ask her if she wanted to go, since she, too, liked the Christy Minstrels. I knew she couldn't, but it didn't hurt to ask. Long story short, Don consented to join me, and Tuesday night, we headed to Newton. Right on time, a gray-haired Randy Sparks came onto the stage, and soon the rest of the group joined him. None of them except Randy were part of the original group, though Barry McGuire (he's the solo in the song Green Green) sometimes joins them (but not last night). Several of the singers had been with the group in the 60's; most joined it later. But their sound is the same.

I looked over at Don early in the show, and he was toe-tapping and singing along, just like the rest of us were. And he admitted that he enjoyed the show. And nostalgic me? Well, I cried during two songs, and sang along with most of the others. I know. Not cool. But I don't care. I still love The New Christy Minstrels.

1 comment:

  1. there is only one possible question to go with this post. Did they sing, "The Cat Came Back?" I'm not actually sure that that is the title of the song, but now I have it stuck in my head.

    oh I had an old grey cat, that I couldn't bear to keep.
    He spent the nights a howlin' and he wouldn't let me sleep.
    I put him in a boxcar on the westbound 710. The train pulled away and was never seen again.

    But the cat came back!

    thanks mom. now I need to go bake brownies to get this song out of my head.

    ReplyDelete