Thursday, October 11, 2012

Learning to Draw

I can't draw.  I have never been able to draw.  I tried.  But since I was a little girl, I have not been able to draw.

It is really a detriment.  When I taught, I would tell the students I was Picasso, and just as you can't necessarily tell what Picasso was drawing, it was the same way with me.  But Picasso is a great artist, so I must be, too.  The kids would laugh and endure my terrible scratch as I would try to draw "fried-worm pie" or "caterpillar pizza" . . . or any number of other things.  I also learned I can't play pictionary, because my team couldn't tell what I was drawing.

Since I retired, I have been wanting to enroll in an art class, but I was too intimidated.  There was one place that advertised that they could teach anyone to draw . . . yeah, yeah, yeah.  Anyone but me.  I had walked by it a number of times and had even picked up their literature several times.  Finally in August I put on my big-girl panties and walked through the door.

The first day I was SO nervous.  No way could he teach me to draw.  I knew a number of people in the class (that's for another day), so at least I knew I would enjoy the company, but I wasn't expecting great things.  That day we drew sunflowers.  Skeptical, I did what the teacher said.  And glory be, by the end, I had actually drawn a sunflower.  And it looked like a sunflower.  I was pretty happy about it until a friend said, "Karen, sunflowers are the easiest things in the world to draw.  Even kindergarteners can draw them."  Well, maybe, but mine actually looked like they were supposed to look!

For the first time in A LOT of years, I have been so excited to do something new.  I don't dread going, and I actually do the homework.  I have only had five or six classes, and sometimes it is very stressful, but I have been having so much fun.  And although we have a lot of work to do, I am beginning to believe that Monart School of Art actually can teach anyone to draw.

I am not ready to put a picture of what I have done on the computer . . . but stay tuned.  Maybe sometime.

1 comment:

  1. I would like to be able to draw too. Little illustrations for the things we design. It does not look likely. Maybe I'll drink coffee and you'll learn to draw!

    ReplyDelete