Monday, May 12, 2014

Off The Grid

One of the best things about the cabin is that we have no internet coverage.  We have no ability to use cell phones.  We only have a rotary dial phone, so using voice mail where we have to "press 1 for customer service" is impossible.  For what it is worth, that is why I like voice recognition systems!  Anyway, it is wonderful - and inconvenient.  I use the computer a lot more than I would like to think!

One of the things we do have is satellite radio.  For my birthday several years ago, I received a docking station for the satellite radio.  We take it to the cabin when we are there so we can catch the news - though I never use it for that.  I use it to listen to Mike and Mike in the Morning.  I need my Mike and Mike fix, and with my satellite radio, I can turn it on while still in bed and listen as I am awakening.  At least I am up-to-date with sports.  And when we need to, we can catch CNN or NPR, Bloomberg, or one of the other information stations.

Every now and then we have to go to Pecos or to Santa Fe to catch up on our emails and phone messages.  Otherwise, much work would not get done.  It is sad that as we drive, once we get through Pecos, I am glued to my iPad, deleting emails, answering others, and checking in.

It is great to be connected . . . but it is also great to disconnect.  I am glad we can have both!

No comments:

Post a Comment