Sunday, May 11, 2014

The Sand County Almanac, Part II

It took awhile, but I finished it.  This book is definitely one worth reading.

The first third is filled with gorgeous writing about observations Aldo Leopold made while on his farm in Wisconsin.  His descriptions of the animals, the scenery, the behaviors is finer than any writing I have ever read.  The patience he had to document what he saw and then write it makes me jealous - I can't sit for that long.  But after reading his book, I am determined to try.

The second two thirds of the book are more about conservation and society than about the observations he makes.  For those of us concerned about the environment, about the land, and about the animals it is compelling reading.  Unfortunately, the ending of the book seemed a little "lecture-prone," but that's because some of the selections were lectures or papers that he delivered.  I found them less interesting, somewhat concerning, but certainly true.  Perhaps because his message was somewhat fatalistic, I found myself not wanting to read it.  But it is a book I believe every person who enjoys the outdoors should read.  Hunters, fishermen, hikers, farmers, skiers, snowmobilers, photographers - everyone.  Until we all understand the difference between respecting the land and using the land, we will continue on our downward spiral, eliminating more and more species, creating havoc in our wake.

There are those who would argue with Aldo Leopold's premise - that we can protect our land and still experience a sound economy.  His thought is that if we do not, nothing will be left for our children.  Having seen what I have seen just in my experience in the mountains, I tend to agree with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment