Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Getting Old is Interesting

Sometimes I think our memory plays tricks on us just because it can.  But usually if one of us forgets something, the other one remembers.  Not this time!

When we were packing for our Nevada, California trip, we had to pack all of the boxes for the cabin.  They were all packed in the basement with clean sheets, towels, and the things we always bring home:  scrapbooks, the satellite radio base, the game camera, binoculars - all things we don't want stolen if we were to be burglarized during the winter.  I brought the boxes upstairs for Don to pack.

At one point, Don repacked a few items, and I put the game camera and something else on the table.  They were all packed and we left.  At one point we thought about setting up the game camera in a campground but we decided not to. When we arrived at the cabin, we brought the boxes from the RV and unpacked them.  No game camera.  I insisted that Don go back to the RV to check . . . nope, no game camera.

I searched the cabin - once, twice, thrice.  No game camera.  We called Katie to make sure we hadn't misplaced it in her RV.  Oh . . . and the birthday cards he brought for my birthday were also missing.  We could not find them anywhere.

I told Don I knew I had put the camera on the dining room table, so when we arrived home, the first thing I did was look on the table.  No camera.  Nothing.  I looked downstairs.  Nope.  We searched the RV again - every cabinet, nook and cranny.  No game camera.  But I did find the cards - Don had tucked them in the cabinet above the driver's seat.

About five days after we had gotten home, I told Don I had remember that we had discussed leaving the game camera at the cabin, and maybe we did.  "No, I don't think so.  I remember it in the box and on the table."  I did, too, but I decided to look when we came back to the cabin.

The first thing I did last Sunday upon arriving back at the cabin was check in the closet I thought I had put thecamera in..  Nope.  No camera.  Huh.  Well, I was out of ideas, so I guess we will buy a new one in Santa Fe on Tuesday.

For some reason, however, I decided to dig down to the bottom of a bin in which I keep rugs and some other items.  And buried deeply in the bottom was . . . the game camera.

The scary part about all of this is the certainty that both Don and I had about seeing the camera on the dining room table, in the plastic tub . . . I guess it is just years of doing the same thing and the inability for our brains to adjust!  I don't know but getting old certainly adds dimension to our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment