Friday, May 6, 2016

Hearst Castle

The day began as I remember so many California mornings - foggy, gray, cool, quiet.  The mist drifted across the tops of the trees, obscuring not only the plants but also the mountaintops.  It subdued the sounds of highway 101 and even the birds seemed quieter.  A mysterious, beautiful California morning.


About 9:30 we locked the dogs up and drove Highway 1 to the Hearst Castle outside of San Simeon.  We had no idea what to expect, but after seeing Neuschwanstein in Austria, we suspected it would be interesting.  Rich people who build grand estates for themselves usually do not disappoint.

In the late 50's, after William Randolph Hearst had passed away, the Hearst Corporation donated the majority of his estate to the California State Parks.  The house was included in the deal, and the Parks Department has since turned it into a tourist attraction.  We were very impressed with the "new" visitor center, and even the port-a-potties they have now installed (due to the water shortage) were clean.  When we were leaving, a young woman with Downs Syndrome and her boss were cleaning the outsides of every one, sanitizing as they went.

Anyway, we took a bus to the top of the hill where the "castle" was constructed, a nearly five-mile trip.  We learned that Mr. Hearst had built a zoo complete with tigers, polar bears, oryxes, zebras, and wild sheep.  There are still sheep and zebras on the ranch!



When we disembarked, a guide met us and told us all about the grounds, which were built to emulate a Mediterranean mansion.  Mr. Hearst purchased art work from around the world - Flemish tapestries, Greek statues, a copy of Donatello's David, wooden ceilings, Moorish ceilings from Spain, and fireplaces.  He installed the art throughout his home for all to enjoy.



Mr. Hearst loved his compound that had three huge guest cottages.  He would invite up to 20 people - many of Hollywood's most famous - to spend some time with him.  They could arrive by car or in his private plane on his private airstrip.  In the evening they would meet at La Casa Grande for a drink.  Only one drink, because Mr. Hearst did not want the drinking to overshadow the pleasure of the evening.  After dinner, he would treat his guests to movies in his theater.  The movies began at 11:00, which meant a late night for all.  That's why breakfast was served until noon.  Everyone had to make their way to La Casa Grande for all of their meals, and they were served in the dining room, which was a mixture of very formal and very informal.  Nice china, but no linens, ketchup and mustard bottles on the table! (Notice the tapestries on the wall and the choir seats that were used as wainscoating!)


Although we only went to four rooms inside the mansion, we could easily imagine the life led at this estate.  One only money can buy!

1 comment:

  1. I'M TOTALLY FREE FROM HERPES VIRUS
    Herpes is a serious and recurring condition that cannot be cured by drugs or injections by USA Doctors. But the best way to fight and get rid of  herpes virus permanently is to take natural herbal remedies, I red about DR JAMES, the great herbal Doctor, who cures people of HIV virus with his powerful herbal medicine. I contacted him to find out how he could help me and he told me never to be worried that he would help me with the natural herbs medicine! After 2 days of contacting him he told me the medicine is ready and he sent it to me via DHL COURIER SERVICE and it got me in 3 days! I used the medication as he prescribed for me (MORNING and EVENING) and I was cured! It's really like a dream, but I'm so happy! For people suffering from the following diseases Alzheimer disease, Eczema,Shingles,MS,Bullous Pemphigoid,Diabetes, cancer,Pcos, hypothyroidism,vaginal rashes, Herpes, COPD, HIV, arthritis, Hpv, liver disease, autoimmune diseases, Parkinson's disease, Lupus and more should contact him for his herbal medicine, because I am a living witness and I was cured of herpes virus. and DR James medicine is legitimate. I sent him what he asked for and he sent me his medication which I took for 2 weeks and today I am here with a negative result. When I went for the test, I was so happy after I took his herbal mix medicine.CONTACT DR JAMES FOR A PERMANENT CURE Email: drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com
    He's a good man and he will help you

    ReplyDelete