Friday, September 3, 2010

Goodbye, Julie

Death is never easy. Although I can rationalize, theorize, and hypothesize about it, my brain might be able to understand it, but my heart can't. Especially when it is someone who dies way too young!

Yesterday another of my friends was taken away at the too-young age of 52. Julie Keeling was Diana's dance teacher, but she was more than that to our family. We met her when she was in high school because her sister was my close friend, and we watched her become the very successful entrepreneur that she was.

The first year she started her dance business was the same year we started the school. We needed to add a better physical education component to our program that could be done within the limited confines of our former nursing home. Aerobics and dance was the perfect answer, and since I knew Julie, I called her. Luckily, she was willing to help. The students always looked forward to her class, as Julie had the ability to make it appealing even to the young men in the school. And for at least two or three days a week, our students had a good workout.

By the time Kenneth and Diana were born, Julie was well on her way to becoming one of the most popular dance teachers in town. Naturally, when Diana was in kindergarten, I enrolled her in dance. She loved it because Julie made it fun and interesting. I don't know that the girls noticed the painstaking efforts Julie made to make sure every student was on the front line at some time during every dance of a recital. I don't know that they noticed how she labored over the costumes, making sure she had the perfect one for every dance. I don't know that they noticed her creativity with her dances. But the parents did.

Our city will miss Julie Keeling. She was a bright spot in the dancing world, and she gave many children an opportunity to experience dance in a positive fashion. The way she valued each and every student will not be forgotten, and her legacy as one of the best dance teachers in Wichita will live on.

No comments:

Post a Comment