Saturday, September 18, 2010

Reflections on Arrowhead

We have just returned from the Kansas State-Iowa State football game that was played at Arrowhead in Kansas City. We had not been to a KSU game in Arrowhead, though there have been several, so since Don had to be in KC for a seminar, we decided to go.

Since it was an early morning game, we left for the stadium at 6:00 a.m. and arrived just before the gates opened at 7:00. Uh-oh. We were in the Iowa State lot. Between the parking lot attendances who didn't know what they were doing, and a GPS who didn't know what she was doing, we ended up with a bunch of Cyclones. Luckily, I had my handy-dandy parking instructions and with a little help we ended up in the right place. Soon a group of Don's friends and their RV showed up, too, and we had ourselves a little party.

Going into Arrowhead, we all got searched. The female line took so long that Don thought he had missed me and I had gone on without him. Of course, when I got through the line, I spent five minutes looking for him . . . and when he got to the seats and saw I wasn't there . . . second uh-oh of the day. (or maybe the third, since a driver threw him that special digit when we were in road construction and Don was driving a little over the center line.)

Before the game started, we saw a little fight below us. Three people had to go to timeout for the first quarter . . . now you think this would be young people, but no - it was two men our age and one spunky, obnoxious young girl. Did not bode well for the game, though luckily, we had no more incidents.

The one thing I will remember was how hot it was. Now I know it wasn't as bad as the Iowa game several years ago, and it wasn't as bad as some of the games we went to when Michael Bishop was our quarterback . . . but it was hot. And when the Arrowhead concessionaires ran out of water, well that wasn't good. By the time we returned to the rv, all I wanted to do was stay in the air conditioning. By the time we got home, both Don and I felt better, but we had forgotten how hot it can get!!!

The good news is that, although it was ugly, we did win the game! A win is a win is a win!

1 comment: