Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Wild Things

Whenever I go to the cabin, I never know what kind of wild things I am going to see. Haven't seen a bear, mountain lion, or bobcat, though I have heard of them all in the canyon this year . . . BUT . . . I did see some interesting animals that I haven't seen around our cabin before.

The first animals I saw were three grouse . . . we have seen grouse at other cabins but never at our cabin. They walked by the back door, and Babs was pretty intent on watching them. By the time I got the camera, they were way up the hill, but thanks to Don's new camera, I was able to zoom to get a decent shot of them. They are well-disguised, so look carefully!
Then, on Sunday, Don was behind the barn looking at the firewood. Suddenly out of one of the empty 5 gallon cans jumped a gray feral cat. I had seen her about a mile from the cabin beginning in early May, but I didn't know she had made it to our place. After Don figured out what happened, he looked in the can and saw the following:



No, I didn't bring them home with me . . . Babs and Sepster would not have been happy! They seem to have been born late in the season, so I don't know if they will make it, but I am hoping - they will certainly keep down the mice population around our house!

1 comment: