Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Phaugnicks - 2nd part

The English language is particularly difficult, in that we have so many spellings for the same sound. When I began teaching from the Open Court reading series, I learned that the sound of "n" could be spelled n, kn, or gn. I learned that the long O sound could be spelled o, ow, oe, oa, o-e, and probably a lot more. Most sounds in our language have more than one spelling - though the sounds made for an "m" can only be spelled "m". It amazed me that first graders could learn all of the spellings . . . and then use them!

Sometimes I think texters have it right. r u redy? Makes sense to me. Wht r u thnkng? I get it. We seem to waste a lot of effort on vowels. But I don't think text speak will make things better. The golfer couldn't distinguish between four and FORE!, the dieter might confuse waist and waste . . . all sorts of problems could come up.

So until we find a better way, I will stick with phonics . . . and spelling.

1 comment: