Wednesday, October 20, 2010

It's a Small World

Have you ever been far away and had a chance encounter with someone you know? This has happened to me numerous times. When I was in high school, I went on a trip to nine countries in Europe. Standing in the flea market in Greece, a young man from Texas came up to several of us. We began talking, and he said something about visiting a small town in the mountains of New Mexico. I knew the answer when I said, "What was the name of the town?" "Tererro," he answered. Turns out he was friends of the Noel family, and when we were 8 years old, his family rented the cabin two doors up and we all played kick-the-can for hours.

Several years ago, Don, Diana and I went to New York with our Middle School. We walked into an Italian restaurant in Little Italy to find a Garden City, Kansas, architect, Vince Mancini, with whom Don works, sitting there. This kind of thing seems to happen a lot!

Just today, I received an email from Diana entitled, "Guess what just happened to me?" Uh-oh, I thought. Not to worry. She was sitting in a library in Madrid, when a young woman came over and asked if she was Diana Norton. Diana immediately recognized her as Natalie, the sister of her Independent School friend, Alison Shellito.

I love the Disneyland ride, It's a Small World, because it is so true. Encounters like these are living proof!

No comments:

Post a Comment