Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Wild Backyard

I don't think of Wichita, Kansas, as a haven for wildlife, but I have been amazed at the different wildlife we have had visit us.

Many years ago, when I fed birds, I would randomly find our bird feeder opened up. One night we looked out to find raccoons in our backyard. I think raccoons are cool, except with dogs, they probably aren't the best animals to have around. So I dispensed with feeding the birds.

We also find opossums in the backyard. Sepia used to find them and drag them around the yard while they played dead. He is too old to do that - I think - but if he finds them, he sure barks at them a lot. He has a special bark that tells me he has found one, and I try to get him inside before he terrorizes it. Although opossums are ugly, they don't hurt anything, so I see no point in causing them grief.

Last spring, Don looked outside to see a fox standing on our deck. I never saw it but two days later, Susan saw it in her backyard eating a rabbit. I wish it would stick around - we have too many rabbits, and although they are cute, I don't like the knee surgery that goes with a dog having too much fun chasing bunnies!

Finally, today as we drove in a hawk was sitting on the Gaskill's fence. We have had hawks before, but they usually appear in the winter when small birds are gathered around feeders. I haven't seen one at this time of year. I remember when owls used to perch nearby, but I haven't heard them recently, so I will just have to take the hawk.

Anyway, I think it is fun to have different wildlife in our yard. It makes it interesting to look outside just to see what we might find.

No comments:

Post a Comment