Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Pick a Peck of Purple Peppers!

Growing vegetables this summer was a grim proposition. We planted potatoes and onions in the spring, and they grew nicely. We planted two tomato plants, which are just now bearing tomatoes. I think we got three during the summer, since it was just too hot for them. And I planted one pepper bush . . . a purple pepper bush.

I have planted purple peppers before and they have given me a few peppers every year. So when it was so hot this year, I somewhat ignored it. Several days ago, I noticed it looked like the leaning tower of Pisa. . . so Monday I went to check on it. Jackpot. I couldn't carry all of the purple peppers. The first batch I gave away 8 and still had 8. Six of those were used for stuffed peppers yesterday. They were delicious, but I discovered that cooking purple peppers turns them green.

Tonight I went out to pick some more, and these are what I got. There are still a few more on the plant, but I suspect there won't be many more after that. I think a purple pepper or two in the salad at Saturday's ball game might just be the good luck we will need to win, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment