Friday, September 2, 2011

Tailgate Craziness!

For my tailgate parties, I always like to have at least one food that is theme-based. For the 'Huskers it was always easy - something with corn, whether it was cornbread, corn chowder, or corn tortillas. For Texas, Bevo was always easy and steak was always good!

One of my more interesting ideas was when we would play Missouri, I always wanted to eat pancakes with melted butter. I know it is a stretch but when I was a child, one of my favorite stories was about a little African boy named Sam. He had nice new clothes and when he went into the jungle, the tigers would take an article of his clothing instead of attacking him. In the end, the tigers fought and ran around a tree until they turned into melted butter. Then Sam went out to collect the butter and he and his family ate pancakes with melted butter. Isn't that a great way to think of the tigers? As melted butter? I know, I know . . .

So this game presented me with some challenges. Eastern Kentucky Colonels. Well, my first thought was the Revolutionary War, so we are having cherry cobbler for dessert. That's ok. It works. BUT . . .

Along came the Wall Street Journal. Some of my most interesting and fun recipes have come from that newspaper. Last week, I saw a recipe for Corn Ice Cream. Colonels and corn? Well not exactly, but how about Kernels and Corn? So I made some Corn Ice Cream last night. Now we can "Eat the Kernels." Anyway, it is surprisingly good! I can't wait for my tailgate friends to try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment