Monday, July 1, 2019

Alaska, Part 2 - the Beginning

Some say the sequel is never as good as the first, but I hope by the end of our trip, I disagree. 

Yes, the Willie is 6 years older (17 years) and he now has 112,000 miles on him rather than the 50,000 he had in 2013.  Yes, we are going many of the same places, doing many of the same things. But we have added a few side trips, chosen a new route in some places, and generally are excited about the whole trip.  

So I had to laugh when we left our house.  Just like 2013, Barbara Willis, our neighbor, took a picture of us just as we were leaving.  The good news is this time our braking system for the Jeep worked flawlessly, and we didn’t spend three hours trying to get it to work.  


We left on our 43rd anniversary. We can't believe we have been together that long . . . in many ways, it has flown, but sometimes it feels like . . . 


Second, not long after exiting the neighborhood, I had a partner in my seat.  In 2013 our little Babs, who was 15, spent the entire trip sharing the seat with me. This time, I have two spoiled dogs who alternate . . . or both sit with me at the same time.  I do not anticipate having to share quite as much as I did on our first trip, but I was surprised at how much time I had a dog on my lap. It is a bit uncomfortable, so I am hoping they both stay on their couch . . . but we will see.

Babe always took her half out of the middle

 
Nelson didn't know Babs, but he seems to know what is expected when traveling.
In 2013, our cabin had just missed being consumed by a forest fire, so we are relieved we are not reprising that situation.  The forest is beautifully green and wet this time.  Spending a week at our cabin is always a luxury, and with Caleb and Kenneth joining us for a few days before we go, what could be better? I wish we could have seen Di and Daniel before we left, but they are in Peru . . . we miss them but are so glad they are doing such exciting things.  As I write this, they should be at Macchu Picchu, a place I would have loved to visit.  Maybe next year.

Having had three beautiful bucks visit our salt lick this morning, along with the cool morning, a walk with the dogs, and time to reflect on the glory of God’s creation, so far the sequel is much better than the original!  


No comments:

Post a Comment