Sunday, July 21, 2019

The Art of Gathering

This has nothing to do with our trip to Alaska, but as I read, I like to post about the books I have finished.  There really has not been much opportunity to pull out a book, as we go and go from morning until night (Char says we exhaust her).  But I managed to finish The Art of Gathering one evening when it was raining.

I have never been very good at planning events, so this book was a fascinating read.  I wish I had read it before I went back to work, because I think I could have been more effective with the few gatherings for which I was responsible.  Priya Parker makes a case for how to create memorable and productive gatherings, whether they are weddings, funerals, business meetings, conclaves, or difficult problem-solving events.

I think it takes a very creative mind to be as effective as she and her partners are, but that should not deter those of us who are not as creative from thinking about what she says and trying to employ some of her techniques.  We have a wedding approaching, and Diana read this same book last year.  So . . . here’s hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment