Monday, August 13, 2012

A REALLY GOOD recipe!!!!

One of the miracles foods that showed up when my kids were little was Magic Shell.  I loved that stuff!  Pour it on ice cream and it hardens, just like a dipped cone!  I bought more than my share of Magic Shell, but as the kids grew (and I grew . . . fatter), I quit buying it.

In early August, my subscription of Cooks Illustrated arrived.  I love that magazine, as it not only has good recipes, it explains the science behind them.  At the very beginning of the magazine, however, are  questions from people like me.  One of them was how to make a homemade Magic Shell.

On Thursday, Susan and I decided to try the homemade recipe.  The key is coconut oil.  Luckily, Dillons had some, and although it is expensive, I think I can use it for other things, so I bought it.

Taking 4 Tablespoons of coconut oil (I had to melt it for about 20 seconds in the microwave to make sure I had 4 Tablespoons), and 3 ounces of chipped semi-sweet (bittersweet) chocolate, and a pinch of salt, I melted it in the microwave for a minute, stirred it, and melted it again.  Another stirring and it was done!

We had to try it, of course, which we did.  Awesome.  We then tried it with milk chocolate chips, but we wouldn't recommend it.  Too sweet.  The bittersweet chocolate was perfect . . . and so we now have the perfect answer for dipped cones.  Yum.

1 comment: