Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Bunny Nest

Don and I had been watching the bunny nest with interest.  The momma was always watchful, and on occasion we would see her at the nest, presumably nursing her babies.  And then . . . Babs found the nest.

It must have been blind dumb luck that she found it, since she can't hear or see.  But Tuesday afternoon her nose led her to the nest.  She had just begun to sniff it when we saw her, so we were able to keep her from harming the babies, but every time she went outside, she eventually ended up over at the nest.  (I thought she might forget about it, since dementia seems to have set in, but no chance.)

Wednesday morning, I went to the nest to see what was going on, and all that is there is a hole in the ground.  All of the rabbit fur and soft material was littered on the yard, but the babies are no longer there.  Although it is possible that a cat got them, we didn't hear any squealing (which we usually do), so I am hoping the momma decided Babs had gotten a little too close and moved them to another nest.  I suspect in a week or two, we will see baby bunnies hopping around the yard.  At least I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment