Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Chokecherry Jelly

When we were at the cabin, the chokecherries were ripe, so I decided to make some jelly.  In the past I had added some crabapples to it, but this year I didn't.  I won't make that mistake again.

The jelly was beautiful.  Dark red.  Lovely.  Our ten-year-old neighbor helped me make it, and we had a great time.  But then I tasted it.  YECH!

It was so bitter and left such an aftertaste that I couldn't stand it.  Interestingly, Don and the neighbors didn't notice the aftertaste.  They liked it just fine. A friend told me it is the tannins in the cherries that make it bitter.

That's when Diana reminded me that tannins are also in coffee (YECH!) and wine (YECH!).  No wonder I didn't like it.  I can't stand coffee and wine, either.

Next year, if I happen to be around when the chokecherries are ripe, I will again put crabapples with it to neutralize the tannins.  I know I will like it better, and the others won't mind the change!


No comments:

Post a Comment