Monday, August 20, 2012

Has Hell Frozen Over?

After a trip to Spirit Lake a few years ago, I swore I would never ride horses again.  My knees hurt, my rear hurt, my back hurt.  For several days, I couldn't walk.  It wasn't worth it!

But while we were at the cabin, Emily Ley told us about a two hour ride during which we might see a bear.  The day before she had seen a bear track, so chances were good we would see one.  OK.  I was in.

We left the Tererro General Store at 9:00 a.m. in search of bears.  I rode Ranger, a very good horse who kept up well, didn't trot (another thing I hate), and was very responsive.  I knew from the beginning it was going to be a good ride.



First, we saw two deer.  I wonder if there was a fawn around, but we didn't see it.  Then a few minutes later a pack of coyotes began howling and howling.  We never saw the coyotes, but we surely heard them.  We began to see signs of bear - torn down oak trees, acorns all over the ground.  We saw several bear tracks. 


But no bears.  I think I should have recited my "Let's go on a bear hunt" song . . . maybe then we would have seen one.

Anyway, we got back after two hours, without a hurt knee, a hurt back, or a hurt rear.  I was a little sore the next day, but nothing like before.  I have to say - it was an enjoyable ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment