Thursday, August 16, 2012

Verdant Farm, part 2

I have missed the farmer's market the last few weeks, but on Wednesday, I was able to go again.  I headed straight for the Verdant Farm booth, as I knew they would have something unique and different.

About a month ago, I purchased a squash called a pattypan.  I had no idea how to cook it, so it sat on my counter for awhile.  Wednesday I asked Dana for directions.  Following her instructions, I sauteed some onions and garlic, put the wedges of squash in it, and when it was nearly done, added some tomatoes to it.  A little salt and pepper later, and Dana was right.  Delicious.  I did have to take the wedges out of the pan and cut them smaller so they would cook before the garlic turned black, but I will know what to do next time.

This week, they had a new melon.  I wish I could remember the name.  It looks somewhat like a watermelon, but Dana says the flesh is green and tastes a little like cantaloupe.  I can't wait to try it.

They also had some beautiful yellow tomatoes.  I bought two, which was a huge mistake.  I should have bought ten.  They are wonderful.  I used one in the pattypan dish, and its subtle taste and fleshy meat made the dish.  I hope they have them again next week, because I will buy many more.

Their cucumbers were perfect; the onions huge.  I love shopping at Verdant Farm!

No comments:

Post a Comment