Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Thirty-eight Valentine's Days Later

Is that possible? We have celebrated 38 Valentine's days? What's the big deal? If a person is married, shouldn't every day be Valentine's Day? In theory, maybe, but unfortunately, life gets in the way.

I remember our first Valentine's Day. Don and I had just started dating, but I was told that he was snowed - the term used back then for a person who had fallen for another. So I thought for Valentine's Day maybe a dozen roses would show up at the sorority house; or that we would go to dinner; or something. Yes, he did remember . . . but rather than roses, he brought me a small vase of dried flowers. It was very nice and so . . . practical. I kept it for many years, and I liked it . . . but it was certainly an indication that I could not expect Don to be a "sweep-you-off-your-feet romantic."

Don't get me wrong . . . I am practical too, and frankly, the money wasted on roses every year would be into the thousands by now. So I don't miss the roses . . . much.

Don kids me that he is going to buy me tires (he has), an oil change (that, too), or a tank of gas . . . yep, got that one also. So I really don't mind, because it keeps me from having to do that. But the year he bought me a book that was recommended by our doctor (he shall remain unnamed, but his first name is Hew) takes the cake. I have told Hew he should no longer dispense Valentine's Day advice. The book's name? Healthy Aging. They both could spin it any way they wanted: I want you to be healthy in your later years, we will age together gracefully, I love you so much I want you to live longer. But really. Healthy Aging? For Valentine's Day?

So who knows what today will bring. I suspect maybe a card and dinner. But it doesn't really matter. I am married to a wonderful man who puts up with opinionated, over-the-top me. And what could be better than that?

Happy Valentine's Day, Don.

2 comments: