Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Amber Waves of Grain

As we were driving to New Mexico, the wheat was incredibly golden . . . much like it usually is in mid-June.  It is hard to drive through the area without singing, "Oh beautiful, for spacious skies, for amber waves of grain . . . "  When I lived in New Mexico, I didn't get it . . . but 35 years in Kansas has made me love those amber waves. 



I don't know that I have ever known the wheat to ripen so early in the year, and Don and I commented that we thought the harvest would begin before we returned.  Sure enough, today (Tuesday) as we were coming home, many fields had already been cut, and we saw a number of combines in the others.  By the end of the week, we believe most of the wheat will have been harvested.

Harvest time in Kansas makes me appreciate farmers - their work ethic, their faith, their willingness to take incredible risks.  I hope this year's crop is a profitable one . . . they deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment