Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Bird Calling

I come from a family of bird callers.  My dad would bring his duck calls out and practice.  We bought him a turkey call when we went to Florida, and he and my brother would practice calling turkey.  When Bart goes turkey hunting, he is more thrilled with calling the turkeys in than he is in bagging one.  So when I went on a bird walk last week and saw a woman call in the birds, I was hooked.

Last Saturday night, Don, our neighbor Susan, and I went to Chisholm Creek to find the Indigo Bunting.  I had found its call on my iPad, and we wanted to see if we could get a response.  (Note that I use the artificial iPad for my calls . . . I can't imitate their calls in any way.)  We went to the place where we had located the Indigo bunting on the bird walks and I pulled out my iPad.  Within about 30 seconds, the beautiful bird flew in.  I kept the iPad going, and he moved in even closer.  We had a gorgeous view of him!  It was so fun.

We tried calling in some other birds with less success, but I am hooked.  The iPad is going with me to the cabin so that I can try to call some evening grosbeaks and other beautiful birds.  Until then, I am going to practice calling birds in my backyard and Chisholm Creek.

No comments:

Post a Comment