Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Indigo Bunting

Did you know we have Indigo Buntings in Kansas?  I didn't, but I do now!

This morning, friend Kathy Dunlavy and I were up and at 'em early to go on a bird watching expedition at Chisholm Creek Park.  Good thing it is only a mile away from our house, so we didn't have to get out of bed before 6:30.  Anyway, for two hours we walked through the park looking at the various birds of the area.

We had two guides, and although they said it was a slow bird day, we were treated to seeing bluebirds, herons, egrets, American Redstart warblers, two different kingfishers, a flycatcher (that looked very much like my sweetie birds at the Pecos but isn't), and the Indigo Bunting.  Additionally, there were some goslings and ducklings, many deer, and the normal cardinals, robins, meadowlarks, and sparrows.  We even saw a raccoon track in the muddy part of the creek.

The morning was fresh and cool, no wind, sunny, and absolutely gorgeous.  I cannot think of a more fun way to spend the morning, and I got to see an indigo bunting.  Very exciting.

1 comment: