Wednesday, May 2, 2012

May Day

Yesterday was May Day.  My friend, Kathy Gunter Davis, loves May Day.  She would bring flowers to her friends, take flowers to Betsy's mom, and celebrate the beauty of spring.  She was even married on May Day.  Because of Kathy, I learned to love May Day, too.

When my kids were young, I would cut iris from our garden, they would make baskets, and then we would deliver them to the neighbors.  They loved ringing the doorbells and running away.  But now I have no more kids to make May baskets with.

This year was weird in that I have no iris to cut.  It has already bloomed and gone.  Very sad.  I do have blooms from my Japanese tree lilac - which I have never had at this time of year.  It usually blooms mid-June.  That it is blooming now is scary.  But I can't reach the blooms, so try as I might, I couldn't find any flowers to use for May Day.

Nevertheless, we could still celebrate the spring and be grateful for the beauty God has created for us.  So whether I had flowers or not, I loved yesterday and thinking about the fun times we have enjoyed on May Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment