Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Six Easy Pieces

Kenneth recommended that I read this book though he denies doing so!  So maybe he didn't, but someone did, and I purchased it.  This year I decided to try to read it, since it is billed as a logical and   sensible explanation of the basics of physics.  I never took a physics class, much to my regret, and this seemed to be a good way to learn a little about it.

Well, it was not quite so simple.  And the chapter on energy was such a challenge, I plan to reread it when I am not trying to concentrate above Mike and Mike in the Morning, gorgeous scenery, and Garth Brooks.

Even with the difficulties in concentrating, I learned a lot about physics and how atoms, molecules, gravity, and the universe works.  His explanation of why water expands when it is frozen is the first time I have understood why.  I always knew it did . . . I just did not understand why it happened.  Now I do, though don't ask me to explain it to you until I have reread the explanation twenty more times!

What I found really fascinating was that as challenging as the chapter on energy was, the chapter on gravity made absolute sense!  I remember learning about energy in fifth grade and struggling with it.  Maybe my mind has not grown much since then.  Of course, the chapter on quantum mechanics was way above me . . . And even Don struggled with it . . . But I do now understand what quantum mechanics is.

I thought the ending of the chapter on energy was probably the most important.  Richard Feynmann, the author, observed that if we could figure out a safe way to utilize hydrogen, we could power the entire US with only 150 gallons/minute of water, which is a pittance of what we use now.

And that is why physics is important.  Solving important problems is what physicists do, and I appreciate what they do, and am glad they understand it!

No comments:

Post a Comment