Monday, July 14, 2014

Stargazers

Most gardeners have a favorite flower or two in their garden.  For some it might be a hydrangea.  Although I love them, mine do not seem to love me.  Three years now and they have not bloomed yet.

For some it might be the iris.  Iris are lovely.  They have a special place in my heart.  But they do not last long, and when they wilt they drip on my table.  So although iris are toward the top of my list, I am not sure they are my favorites.

And then there is the Stargazer.  The Stargazer Lily.  It is a gentle thing, prone to being knocked down by hail or wind or . . . dogs.  Its fragrance is like heaven, when it survives and blooms.  Many years we only have the opportunity to see two or three blooms.

But this year is different.  We have had no hail, and although the winds have been high they have not been strong enough to knock them down.  Babs has not been over near them to knock them down.  And last week, the Stargazers began to bloom.  And they bloomed and bloomed.  

Enjoy the Stargazer Lily.




No comments:

Post a Comment