Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Vancouver

Today we landed in Vancouver after a very easy set of flights.  Despite the delay from Wichita, we made our flight with enough time to spare that the agent let me head to the restroom before boarding.  He got an A!

We had no idea what to expect in Vancouver, but what we found is lovely.  Our hotel is in downtown, not too far from Coal Harbor where most of the cruise ships depart.  We were able to walk to the pier and enjoy a walk along the seashore.  The revitalized area allows for both bicycle and pedestrian traffic, it has information boards all along the walkway, and with plenty of trash containers, it is delightfully clean.

We asked two people for recommendations for seafood and when both gave us the same recommendation, we went there.  Coast is its name.  Although it is a little pricey, it is worth it.  I had an ahi tuna, but I really wanted what Don was having as sides - his was a hot potato salad with a vegie.  Mine was a creamy farro with a pea and lentil sauce.  But I did not say anything because I figured it was tacky to ask for substitutions.  Thank goodness I didn't.  The combination of tastes with the tuna was exquisite.


Behind me, Don watched the bustling kitchen.  I could hear, but not see, the activity, but I got the idea that many very fine people were working there.  Don also observed that there appeared to be one waiter for every two people:  three different people filled my water glass, yet we never felt overwhelmed by waiters.  We really wanted to order dessert, but neither of us had room.  We will be back for the Strawberry-Lemon Mousse Cake!

After dinner we walked outside near the hotel, looking at two different gorgeous water fountains, finding the Deloitte building, and checking out the Anglican Cathedral right across the street.  Vancouver's moderate climate gives plants the perfect environment to thrive . . . and they do.  It is gorgeous around this city!

No comments:

Post a Comment