Thursday, April 21, 2016

While the Princesses Sleep

While Katie and Jerri slept, Bart, Don and I arose early and headed for Deadhorse State Park to see more red rocks.  Bart was hoping to catch the morning light, and I decided I would come along for the ride.

Deadhorse State Park is about 40 minutes from Moab, just northeast of Canyonlands National Park.  Bart had seen pictures of the meanders made by both the Green and the Colorado rivers before they enter Canyonlands and he wanted to try to get a beautiful morning shot of the cliffs.  Fortunately, the pups were allowed to walk with me, so we all piled out of the RV, each going our separate ways.

The cliffs were quite steep . . . very steep, as a matter of fact . . . and the light was changing the looks of them by the minute.  The pups and I walked a 2 mile trail, but Bart decided to walk around to a point to try to get the whole river on the gooseneck, so he walked about 5 miles.  Unfortunately, he was not able to get the shot he wanted, but he did get his 10,000 steps, so it was a win!

I was able to get some pretty spectacular shots of the river below, accented by wonderful shadows.



Shot from the east rim, the sun muted some of the beautiful colors.


This is the west rim, shooting with the sun.  I love the dark shadows!

Then while Bart was still taking pictures, I decided to whip up some butterscotch cookies for the eating.  I nearly finished the batch by the time he returned.  Another win for sure!


No comments:

Post a Comment