Saturday, June 26, 2010

BFFs

I had BFFs long before there was such a thing as a BFF.

When I was in elementary school, I used to play with Kathy Gunter and Betsy Cocke. Kathy and I were born two days apart (I AM the younger one, by the way) in the same hospital, so we have always known each other. She lived about a block and half away from me, and Betsy lived just up the street. In junior high, Betsy and I walked to school together nearly every day. Sometimes Kathy would join us, but not always.

Once we got to high school, I was dying to meet this girl who lived across the street from my cousins. Her name was Anne Turbett, and I had heard she was hilarious. Luckily, we had biology at the same hour, so one day I bravely walked into her class and introduced myself. We just hit it off! Soon she introduced me to her friends, Susan Howard and Kathleen Rogers, and I introduced her to Kathy and Betsy, and it wasn't long before we began spending a lot of time together.

In high school, we would have Friday night parties . . . but they weren't like the parties most high schoolers have. We would set up ping pong tables and volleyball nets and play games. Or we would sit around and sing while Mike Schingle played the guitar. Or we would go to school events. We were the squarest kids one could ever meet, but we loved being together and we always had a good time.


Luckily, we have remained friends, and now that all of our children are grown, we get together frequently. We celebrated our 40th and 50th birthdays together, and for the last several years we have managed to meet for a quick girls' weekend. We have been to San Diego, Chicago, Santa Fe and Taos, and Oklahoma City . . . we are hoping for Alaska next!





We are so lucky to have been able to share our lives for so many years . . . and for many more to come! Thanks, ladies, for being my BFF!!

No comments:

Post a Comment