Friday, June 18, 2010

Happiness, Heartache, and McDonald's

Happiness is seeing your children having fun, learning, and loving. Talking to Kenneth and Melinda yesterday after they landed in Hong Kong gave me a true "happy feeling." They are doing so well, and I admire both their, and Diana's, sense of adventure. Anyone who would eat some of the things they have eaten and travel excitedly to what Don and I would consider "exotic" places occupies a special place in my admiration category!

I am glad I had that "happy feeling" yesterday, because this morning I then had that "worried feeling." Don and I were taking our 6:00 a.m. walk with Sepia and Babs and our friend, Kathy Melzer and her dog, Patty Sue. As we headed through the park, suddenly Sepia started walking crooked and got off the sidewalk. I knew immediately what the problem was. Seizure. Unfortunately, we were about as far from the house as we could be. Thank goodness Don was there, because, as a result of his anti-seizure medicine, Sepster has become a very heavy dog, and for me to carry him all the way home would have been a stretch. But Superman took over, picked him up, and carried him home (I guarantee you, 30 pounds of dead weight is very heavy!). Even by 8:45 this morning, Sepia still hadn't completely come out of it, but now - 9:30 a.m. - he seems to finally be back to himself.

That's where McDonald's comes in. One of Sepia's greatest pleasures - next to sleeping, walking, chasing rabbits, eating onions and asparagus, and going to the cabin - is going to McDonald's. They have dog bones there. I think he deserves a dog bone. So off we go . . . to a less than exotic place! And we will have that "happy feeling" again!

1 comment: