Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Titles Are Tough

I decided to create a blog after both of my children had done so, and because, now that I have a web page for my flower guide (www.wildflowersofnm.com), I was advised it would be good for business. I had enjoyed reading Diana's blogs, and after I decided to embark upon the blogosphere, my mind began racing with ideas.

But first I had to create a title. I have never been good at that. Remember back when you were taking standardized tests and you had to decide what the best title for a passage would be? I always struggled with those questions. So finding a title for this blog was very stressful.

First, I threw out a couple of ideas. "I would rather be at the cabin." After all, I have that sticker on my car. And it's true. I love the cabin. But it sounds a little negative about my hometown, Wichita. Since I love where I live, I ditched that idea! "A song for every occasion." Well, that's true, too. Everyone who knows me realizes that I can think of a song for nearly every situation. But Diana asked me if I am going to write about music. Uh, no. Not exactly. Then she suggested that I use the title of my book, A Stroll Up the Canyon. Yes, I could do that, but using the same name from my book seemed a little lame. Like I am not very creative, or something. So I thought maybe "A Stroll Up the Canyons (of my mind)." That's certainly broad, and since my mind goes 1000 different ways each hour, it could be exciting. Diana's response, however, was "But Mom, you aren't trying to name a book - just a blog." So we settled on . . .now what was it? Oh yes, Strolling Up the Canyon. That way I can write about anything that I might think about while walking up the canyon at the cabin. So that's how we arrived at this title . . . we'll see how I like it after several days!

No comments:

Post a Comment