Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Sensitive, sensitive

Several years ago, at a nursery in Wichita, I found a cool plant called the Sensitive Plant. When it is touched, or even if a breeze passes through the leaves, the leaves close up, as if to say, "Leave me alone." I liked it so much, I bought three. I gave one away but kept the other two until they both died. Thinking they were tropical plants, I didn't buy any more but have remained enamored with them.

Imagine my surprise when, on the Wildflower tour, our guide told us about Cat-Claw Mimosa - sometimes called sensitive briar. It has the same characteristic as the tropical plant - it closes up when touched. I suspect it spends a lot of time closed up in the Kansas wind :) The plant can be considered a noxious weed or an invasive species, but apparently the cattle love to eat it, and it is good for bees.

The next time I want a sensitive plant, perhaps going to the Flint Hills to find one would be less expensive! And I intend to look at the cabin to see if it grows there. I had never noticed it before . . . that doesn't mean it isn't there!

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to more. Makes me want to hike just to take pictures of the stuff you find.

    Jerri

    ReplyDelete