Thursday, June 24, 2010

Loving Bookstores

I love independent book sellers. Theirs is a tough life - competing with big chains in an already difficult business makes it hard to survive. But Wichita is lucky. We have several independent book stores, two of which are my favorites of all favorites. Eighth Day Books, owned by Warren Farha, has found a niche with religious books, though he offers all sorts of other genre . . . I will write about his store in a later post. The other store, Watermark Books, is the subject of today's blog. It reminds me of the bookstore in You've Got Mail.

Watermark used to be a small cozy store with a large children's section, located at a very busy corner . . . and on my way to work. I loved going into the store, and since it was easily accessible, I went there often. Eventually, near the time that Barnes and Noble and Borders both built less than two miles away, it moved farther south and west . . . I wondered how it would ever make it. But amazingly, it did better than ever.

Sarah Bagby, the owner, is an amazing person who has made a name for herself within the book seller's industry. I adore Sarah, but that's not why I love her store. I love her store because it has made itself available to its patrons for all sorts of clubs and events. Numerous book clubs meet there at all hours of the day and night . . . Diana participated in the Spanish book club this year! Numerous authors come to talk about their books and sign them . . . yesterday 7 Young Adult authors spoke at 2:00, and then another man was there at 7:00.

And then they offer the summer challenge. I haven't done their challenge before . . . last year's series on Jane Austen must have been terrific, and I am sad that I didn't go. But this year, when they offered the Bronte series, I decided to dive in. The first session, with Mark Bradshaw leading, was hilarious, interesting, and downright fun! I learned so much about the Brontes that I couldn't wait to read Jane Eyre. Wednesday night's session on Wuthering Heights affirmed that it will be a much different read, but because of Mark, I HAVE to read it!

The key to surviving in this business environment is creating a niche and sticking with it. Sarah and her bookstore have certainly done that . . . and Wichita is much the better for it!


1 comment:

  1. I love Watermark. Best Sandwiches Ever! (Their book selection is pretty good, too.)

    ReplyDelete