Monday, January 23, 2012

Axiom Brass

One of the most rewarding parts of my former position at The Independent School is seeing what our students do in their adult lives. TIS alums are in medical school and law school; several are in the process of getting their PhD's; many have good jobs and are already contributing to my social security :).

Friday night I had the opportunity to watch one of our alums practice his craft in very impressive fashion. Brett Johnson (06) majored in music performance at Northwestern University, and during his time there, he auditioned for a brass quintet called Axiom Brass. After a vigorous audition process, he was chosen to be the trombonist in the quintet. Besides being a performance group, they also provide workshops and learning opportunities for various groups, including colleges. Last week, they came to Wichita State University to run workshops for music students, culminating in their final event, a concert.

Although I have been to numerous concerts and symphonies, I had never listened to an entire concert with just brass instruments. It was most enjoyable. The group did an excellent job of varying the music, providing both classical and modern pieces. They commented on each piece, explaining the significance of the composer or why they thought they should include it in their repertoire. They even had a very catchy way to explain what a fugue is . . . I thought I knew, but now I know I know because I can explain it.

Over the years, Don and I have attended what appear to be random speeches, concerts or events because we knew someone involved. That's how we learned about Hal Dick and his voyages across the ocean in dirigibles, for example. Similarly, I doubt that we would have attended Axiom Brass if we had not known Brett was playing. Don and I agree we would have missed something very special if we had not been in attendance.

No comments:

Post a Comment