Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Brussels Sprouts

Brussels sprouts have never been high on my list of vegetables to eat. I like to think I am open minded about most foods, but I just haven't been able to get past the bitter taste of these little cabbages. Last year my sister told me she loved them, so I tried them again. Yech . . . couldn't take it nor could Don. So I didn't try them again.

This weekend we went to Kansas City to see Kenneth and Melinda, who has become an awesome cook! She was talking about brussels sprouts, and she explained a way to cook them that I had never tried. So tonight we decided to cook them "the Melinda way."

She told me to coat them in olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast them for about 45 minutes until they turned black. I looked up several recipes, and they suggested starting at 400 degrees, turning it down if necessary and stirring them about every 5 - 10 minutes. So that's what I did.

After 45 minutes, they were indeed black. I tried one and was very surprised at how good they were. A little mushier than I like, but they were very tasty! Don and Diana liked them, too.


So I think brussels sprouts will not longer be the shunned vegetables that they have been around our house. They won't be served as often as artichokes, asparagus, broccoli, or cauliflower, but we will eat them more often than once every 35 years!

1 comment:

  1. I also like to add some pecans and cranberries to my brussel sprouts. Sometimes I add a little balsamic vinegar to the olive oil before I roast them:)

    ReplyDelete