Saturday, January 28, 2012

Cleaning Out Drawers

I always delay cleaning out drawers because I pretend to have something more important to do. But today I decided I had to start someplace, so I picked three desk drawers to work on.

The first one, filled with financial information, was pretty boring . . . and relatively easy. Not a lot of fun papers to review, and although I found a lot to shred, it wasn't very exciting.

The second drawer, however, has been very fun. Saved cards, letters, and papers are always interesting and take me back to earlier times. Some of them were cards from when mom and dad died . . . not fun but heartwarming. Some were cards from Don and the kids that made me laugh.

One favorite was a card from a nephew. We had sent him a singing trout for a birthday, but he couldn't spell trout. The note said:

Thank you for the book and the tr (xxx) tor (xxx) singing fish.

Another was a school assignment about wanting to be like an older cousin, complete with picture. Then there was the poem from Diana, the thank you notes from many at school, the newspaper articles about various events.

I even had, for some reason, Graham Johnson's senior paper about Thrill King Johnson. I laughed and laughed!

I get frustrated with my pack-rat habits, but then on days like this, I am very happy I saved some of this stuff. And no . . . I didn't throw it away!

1 comment:

  1. I just sorted a drawer as well - for cookie decorating supplies!

    ReplyDelete