Monday, October 14, 2013

Canine Cognitive Disorder

Last night, as Babs was spending another night eating, wandering, eating, and wandering, I googled "nights and days mixed up dog."  Many entries were immediately sent to me, and one of the first was about an old dog with the days and nights mixed up.  Yep, Canine Cognitive Disorder.  Alzheimer's for dogs.

Babs has it.  Every behavior was exactly what she is experiencing.  Confusion, pacing, panting, wandering.

There is a medication that is supposed to help it.  We have had a prescription for it, but because she is such a pistol taking pills, I had taken her off it.  Until this morning.  She is now back on it.  I don't know how quickly, or if, we will see results, but it can't hurt.  And if it helps her sleep at night, it will help me sleep at night . . . which will be worth every penny!

1 comment:

  1. Karen,
    Mom's little Schnauzer had that, poor thing would wander under furniture and get stuck, get lost in house and end up in corners.... nights were terrible, I had to sleep downstairs at the cabin and keep my arm hanging off the bed touching him. We will say some prayers for you both! Thank you so much for all the pictures and narratives. I go up to the spring every year and walk to the head digging it out where I can to help it run. I cannot believe it dug that trench through the road!!! Of course it wasn't the spring, just the rain utilizing the spring bed, but still, WOW! Thank you again for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete