Monday, October 28, 2013

Pre-Game

So Dr. Tracz told me to meet him at 2-ish in front of Vanier.  Standing outside the stadium watching all the purple go by was pretty fun.  Little kids get really excited about going to football games.  A few minutes after 2:00, the band started arriving.  I wish I had had my camera.  The two beautiful baton twirlers, in their sequined costumes, were visiting with two young starry-eyed girls.  I could just see those little ones deciding right then and there that they were going to be baton twirlers.  I know I would have been star-struck by them . . . well, I actually was because they are gorgeous women, and they were so nice to me!

Anyway, I waited for a few minutes, and then here came Dr. Tracz - authoritatively walking amongst the band members.  "Where's Karen?" he asked.  I stepped up, and he told me to come with him.  About ten seconds later he said, "You have to walk like a band director.  Let's go."  (I think there was a song like that - Walk Like an . . . oh, an Egyptian.  Well,  a band director walks faster than an Egyptian!)  And I stepped up the pace as we walked arm-in-arm through the gates to the field.

After what appeared to be milling around, but was instead perhaps better described as organized chaos, the band began to assemble in their places.  I put my coat down against the wall (significant in a later post) and waited for my next instructions.  Soon Dr. Tracz grabbed me to follow him.  He made sure I stayed on his right side, because the ball players are big, and he didn't want them to run into me.  I was grateful for that.

We went to the north end zone to wait until the players had vacated the field.  While there, four former players walked by.  I did not recognize two of them - I believe they were the Lamur brothers - but Tyson Hartman I recognized, and then Arthur Brown, Jr. - the Judge.  Boy do we miss him!  We greeted them all, but Arthur made sure to shake my hand.  Not just a passing shake, but an honest-to-goodness handshake.  He is such a quality guy . . . I hope he does well with the Ravens!

Then once the players got off the field, we walked to the west side to watch the beginning of the pre-game.  After the pledge, alma mater, and Wabash Cannonball, we took off around the field while the band lined up for the team's entrance.  In passing, Dr. Tracz mentioned that one of the students was marching in his first pre-game.  Why is that significant?  Well, the student is legally blind.

Although I already was sold on Dr. Tracz, this put a few stars in his crown.  There are "no"people, and there are "yes" people.  When a challenge is placed before them, the "no" people dismiss an idea.  The "yes" people try to find a way to make things work.  I can imagine that there are a number of band directors who would never consider finding a way to include a student with a vision impairment.  But "Yes people" not only consider it, they generally make it happen . . . to the benefit of all involved.  I was so impressed that a student would want to accept the challenge . . . and equally impressed that Dr. Tracz accepted it also.  I know it was a proud day for both of them and for the band in general, and I hope the student enjoyed the experience and will be able to continue marching with the band.

After the team came onto the field and the band started toward the east side, I thought it was odd that the ambulance was moving onto the track.  I was a little oblivious at the time - and buried in a sea of tubas, trombones, and clarinets.  Dr. Tracz pulled his podium up to the wall, the band got in place, and they began playing . . . but the ambulance's lights were going, and I realized something was happening on the field.  (Once I found out it was the cheer squad member who was decked by Willie, I was very worried, but it appears now as if everything is all right.)  Unflappable Dr. Tracz continued with the normal routine, and after the ambulance left, he pulled his podium into its proper place, and we were ready for some football!


1 comment:

  1. What wonderful stories! My son is in the band and I am truely amazed at what the band accomplishes. He has never worked so hard in his life and has never loved anything more! Dr. T is a great teacher and an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete