Thursday, October 31, 2013

Third Quarter

As the students filed back into their seats, I asked one of the staff members if the students got to take a few minutes to rest.  After all, they had been going full tilt since 9:30 a.m.  "A little," he said, but I did not see much evidence of it.  Immediately after they got to their seats, they played the fight song and the Wabash Cannonball.  That isn't rest!

Once the game got going, however, the students were each given an apple.  They immediately chomped into them, and I wondered what would happen if they needed to play.  Sure enough, before the apples were completely distributed, the band had to play a song.  I did not look to see how the students handled their mouthful of apples, but I would bet there were apple bits in some of the instruments!  (I am gagging again!)

I did notice then that, at least for a few minutes, the band did not play.  I don't know if that was to give the students a rest, or if it was because the game was rather boring.  Dr. Tracz, while standing on his podium, said to me, "This isn't much fun," to which I agreed.  Within about a minute of his comment, Daniel Sams threw a pass to Tyler Lockett for a touchdown.  And the rowdiness began again!

I wanted to stay until the beginning of the fourth quarter, as I thought it would be fun to see the fourth-quarter song up close.  The players have hand motions that go with the song, and a group of adults in the upper deck do a dance with it.  Since it is hard to see from our seats, I decided to remain with the band until the song was over.  When it started, I showed one of the staff members the group of dancers above.  The particular staff member did not realize the adults were dancing, though they have been doing it since Kenneth was in school (or before).  I enjoyed seeing the routine from a different angle . . . but my legs and feet were getting weary.

I decided to join my family for the last quarter, and it worked out well.  I got to see the best part of the game from a better vantage point (it is hard to see anything that happens when standing on the sidelines.  I watched the large video board the entire time). I did enjoy seeing the final quarter of the game from our seats.  But I am so very grateful to have experienced the Band Director for the Day.  I learned a lot about what it takes to have a strong band program, and I gained a deeper respect for the musicians involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment